Atlanta Sexual Harassment Lawyer
Securing Justice in Georgia Sexual Harassment Claims
Sexual harassment is a sad reality in many workplaces, and it can profoundly impact the lives of those who experience it. At HDR Law Firm, we are dedicated to ensuring that individuals in Atlanta who face sexual harassment at their workplace have access to the legal representation and support they need. Our experienced team of Atlanta sexual harassment lawyers is dedicated to helping victims of sexual harassment through the legal process and obtain the justice they deserve.
Call HDR Law Firm today at (404) 341-4434 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our sexual harassment attorney in Atlanta!
What is Sexual Harassment?
Sexual harassment is a pervasive issue that can manifest in various forms. It refers to unwelcome and inappropriate sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that creates a hostile or intimidating work environment. Such behavior can occur between individuals of any gender and may include:
- Quid Pro Quo Harassment: This type of sexual harassment involves explicit or implicit demands for sexual favors in exchange for workplace benefits, like job advancement, promotions, or job security. Employees who refuse such demands may face adverse consequences, including demotion or termination.
- Hostile Work Environment: A hostile work environment arises when unwelcome sexual advances, comments, or conduct create an atmosphere of intimidation, fear, or discomfort, making it hard for employees to perform their duties. This can include offensive jokes, explicit materials, or pervasive sexual comments.
- Sexual Coercion: Sexual harassment can involve subtle pressure or coercion, such as unwanted advances or suggestive comments that make an employee uncomfortable. This can be particularly damaging when the harasser is in a position of power.
- Cyber Harassment: With the proliferation of digital communication, sexual harassment has extended to online platforms, including social media, email, or text messages. Inappropriate messages or explicit images can contribute to a hostile work environment.
Common Forms of Workplace Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment can manifest in various ways, and it's essential to recognize some common forms in which it occurs. Our Atlanta sexual harassment lawyers are well-versed in handling cases involving:
- Verbal Harassment: Inappropriate comments, sexual jokes, or derogatory language can create a hostile work environment. Victims may feel embarrassed, demeaned, or belittled by such behavior.
- Physical Harassment: Unwanted physical contact, including touching, hugging, or kissing, is a clear violation of personal boundaries and can constitute sexual harassment.
- Visual Harassment: Displacing sexually explicit materials or sending inappropriate images electronically can create a hostile work environment.
- Retaliation: Employees who report sexual harassment may face retaliation from their employer or colleagues. This can be wrongful termination, demotion, or exclusion from workplace activities.
Georgia Laws Against Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
In the state of Georgia, there are laws in place to protect employees from sexual harassment. Employers are obligated to provide a safe and harassment-free workplace for their employees. Some vital legal provisions include:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act: Title VII is a federal law prohibiting sexual harassment and discrimination based on sex, including sexual harassment. Our experienced Atlanta sexual harassment lawyers can help you navigate the federal legal framework.
- Georgia Fair Employment Practices Act: This state law complements federal protections and prohibits sexual harassment in the workplace. This applies to employers with 15 or more employees.
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Complaints: Victims of sexual harassment should be aware that they can file a complaint with the EEOC, the federal agency responsible for investigating workplace discrimination cases.
- Damages and Compensation: If you have experienced sexual harassment at work, you may be entitled to payment for damages, including lost wages, emotional distress, and punitive damages, depending on the case.
Contact Our Atlanta Sexual Harassment Attorney Today
Sexual harassment is a deeply troubling issue affecting many workplace individuals. At HDR Law Firm, we understand the emotional and psychological toll it can take on victims. Our dedicated team of Atlanta sexual harassment lawyers is here to provide legal guidance and support to those subjected to such misconduct.
Contact HDR Law Firm today to meet with our sexual harassment lawyer in Atlanta!